Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thursday 13: Reasons I am a good parent


Lately I have been very frustrated with my parenting. We have a two and a half year old and an 8 month old. I decided I need to stop and remind myself why I am a good parent and hopefully it will help me over this parenting slump I feel I have entered.

1. Plumber butts do not offend me.


2. I am very easy going (for the most part). I think if I had parented ten years ago I would have been a MUCH more strict parent, but I am pretty mellow and I think it is good - though I am sure there's someone out there who would disagree. (my spouse sometimes thinks I am too lenient)

3. I know a LOT of songs and if I don't know a song I can make one up. Singing has helped us through long nights, sickness, breathing treatments, games and car rides.

4. My boys can hang out with me in the office and even write on my papers and it does not stress me out. Instead of getting upset, I take pictures of their penmanship!


5. I WANT to be a parent. There are many people who don't want to be and that's fine - if they don't have kids. I think wanting to be a parent makes a difference.

6. I am not afraid of water or of getting wet.


7. I will eat things my son feeds me. This is one thing I am especially good at and which my spouse cannot do at all. My son eats better if he sits in my lap, and he tests out if the food is good by giving it to me first, or out of his mouth. I am, for the most part, completely "un"phased by eating partially soggy cheerios. Please don't test this out on me by offering me some soggy food. I do have SOME discretion and I will only eat it if I can see where it became soggy.


8. I can find creative things to play with (or on).


9. I don't care how I look. I have come home from work some days and gone to get into my pajamas and realized I had spit up on my shoulder from the morning. My co-workers rarely say anything to me about my appearance. I think they pretend I am color blind and it eases the psychological and retinal pain they endure looking at some of my outfits. (Or maybe that's why they shut my office door?)


10. I have a mentality similar to a 2.5 year old. My spouse and I were trying to get him to do something the other day and I said to him " I don't think you CAN do it" at which moment he promptly proved me wrong. My spouse said " It's a good thing you have the mind of a two year old, you can get through to him!" I am hoping I develop emotionally at the same rate he does or we are in for some problems.


11. I like swimming.


12. Not often, but occasionally, I have GREAT parenting ideas. For example, my son is obsessed with the vacuum and we needed one day to put it away. In a flash of brilliance I thought to tell my son that we needed to put the vacuum down for a nap! He helped me to take it into the bathroom, cover it with a blanket, and said "night night" to it. It was 3 minutes of bliss and then he informed me that nap time was over!


13. I am a good pillow.

1 comment:

Teena in Toronto said...

You sound like a wicked parent!

That last pic is toooo cute!