Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lent

I am not catholic. I do find the concept of Lent interesting.

There was a time in my life when I was very religious. All through high school I attended a scripture study every single morning before school. I graduated from this program (called seminary) with 100 percent attendance. I absolutely loved studying scripture and it has come in handy when I am watching jeopardy and the category happens to be old or new testament.

Some concepts in my religious experience held significant interest for me, one of them was the concept of sacrifice. This is one reason why I find Lent interesting. For a few years now I have been giving something up for Lent every year. This year is no exception.

Lent this year began on February 25th. The day before Lent begins is my favorite day of the year with few exceptions. FAT TUESDAY.

Unfortunately this year our boys were both admitted to the hospital on Fat Tuesday and so I was not able to celebrate it in true form. I don't even think I had a Cadbury Easter Cream Egg on Fat Tuesday this year which is a travesty. Missing out on the fat Tuesday celebrations did not hamper my desire to give something up for Lent and I followed through.

I have given up "hope". It has been 7 days since giving up hope and I have 33 days remaining. I am going to hang in there and make it. People may think it is easy for me to give up hope, but it is a bit of a struggle. (I haven't struggled yet but when I do I will let you know.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My little man loved your blog today. Sat very still and listened to the whole story of Lent! And yes, he is feverish.