Thursday, March 5, 2009

Math Lover

I don't think if I were given the opportunity to list characteristics of myself that "math lover" would be something I would think of, until this past Tuesday.


For those of you who don't know, Tuesday was 03/03/09 (and it didn't matter if you put the day first or the month first which means both American AND Canadians could celebrate!)


I was going about my merry day at work and filling out forms and noticed that the date was a square root day. I pointed it out to my colleagues. They think I am silly. THEN I was online and noticed that this day actually MEANS something to math lovers. I don't WANT to be a geek, I really don't, but I am so happy there are other people out there who were thrilled by the whole square root day I think I will call myself a "math sympathizer".



Here is some more info on the day from Scientific American:


Math lovers and numerologists take note: Today, March 3, 2009, is square root day.The unofficial holidayunofficial holiday comes around but nine times a century, when the numbers of the calendar align so that the month and day are each equal to the square root of the year as expressed in two-digit form. (In today's case, 3/3/09, 3 is the square root of 9—in other words, 32 = 3 x 3 = 9.) Square root days arise in every year whose last two digits are a perfect square, or a number whose square root is a whole number: The last square root day was on February 2, 2004 (2/2/04), and the next occurrence will be on April 4, 2016 (4/4/16).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something to look forward to! I thought I was supposed to be the geek in the family?

JCB said...

You ARE the geek. I am the math SYMPATHIZER.

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm soooooooooo not a math lover! Ha!