Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Swans are Back

Hip Hip Hooray!
The swans have returned. We are lucky enough to live right in the migratory path of many species of bird. Every spring and fall the sky is FULL of geese, ducks, and swans as they fly right over our house.
I have always loved swans but it wasn't until I moved here that I ever thought about them migrating or flying in such large flocks. In the city there were always one or two on the ponds, never hundreds.
Over the last few days as we have been out and about we have seen flocks of swans flying overhead. Usually these flocks consist of about 25 to 50 birds, but sometimes there are lots more. They seem to be stopping in a field close to our house and as I drove to work this morning I wished I had the camera with me to photograph the literally HUNDREDS of swans in the field.
It is overcast today and raining a bit. My spouse and I have been trying to focus on "beautiful things" lately and as I watched a flock of beautiful white trumpeter swans flying overhead, stark white against the grey clouds I thought to myself ... that is a beautiful thing.

No comments: