Sunday, April 12, 2009

365/11 David

I just realized how many David's I know!

When my family moved from African to Canada the SECOND time, we started out in Alberta, moved to Saskatchewan for a while and then on to Nova Scotia.
When we moved to Saskatchewan I was hoping we would end up in the same place as we had been before because I actually knew some people and going to school wouldn't have been the serious drag it was becoming in my life. (Don't get me wrong... I LOVE school - but PEOPLE at school were a whole other ballgame).
Unfortunately we ended up in a different part of town and after my mom tried to register us at the special needs school ( no lie- a post for another day) we were registered at Alvin Buckwold Elementary. There was a kid, whom I assume was popular, but he was rude to me. It wasn't a HUGE deal. I have met rude people before, and we weren't there for more than a month or so before we moved again and I thought I had seen the last of "David".
Well, as life happens we ended up BACK in Saskatoon when I was in high school a few years later and I again encountered David. Again - not so impressed with him or how he treated me. We had a few classes together and I thought he was arrogant and rude that was that.
THEN... I encountered him AGAIN recently in my life. My interaction with him has now spanned more than 20 years ( I just shaved five years off that last comment!) and what do you know.... HE IS THE SAME.
Now I am all about believing that people CAN change, but my interactions with this guy lead me to reflect on the words of Maya Angelou... "When someone tells you who they are, BELIEVE them!" This guy told me he was a jerk a LONG time ago, and he was right.

1 comment:

Teena in Toronto said...

Reminds me of the Kids in the Halls' song "These are the Daves I Know":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQRmHgExV0