Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: places I have visited


Thirteen Things about lovesmukiwa

This week is the first time that Thursday Thirteen has given a topic to write about. I don't think I will always follow the topics, but tonight, because I am feeling a little brain dead and not very original at all I will follow the theme.

Thirteen places I have visited that I would recommend.

1. Pike Place Market, Seattle Washington.

I lived in Washington for over 2 years and I loved it. Anyone who goes to Washington needs to check out the market. I know there will be a few more Washington sites on this list also.

2. Washington D.C.

I have been to DC a few times and I love the museums and memorials there. There's a ton of history and I could have spent a lot more time there than I did. It is one place I would like to go with my spouse.

3. Skagit Valley Tulip Festival.

The tulip festival is worth going to even if you DON'T like flowers. It simply amazing to look at mile upon mile of fields of blossoming tulips. One thing I never managed to do was to take a hot air balloon ride, but one day I will make it back for the ride.

4. Jurong Bird Park. Singapore.

I went to visit with family in Singapore and we travelled all over and looked at many things. I loved every minute of my time there. One of the highlights was the bird park.

5. Singapore Zoo, Singapore.

I am not typically a fan of the zoo as I don't like to see animals out of their natural habitat and all that weird freaky stuff as if I am some kind of animal lover. ANYWAY. The Singpoare zoo is AMAZING and keeps all of the animals separated by natural boundaries so you don't look at them through cages etc. I would recommend it even to non zoo lovers.

6. Alpine Slide, Park City, Utah

The Alpine slide is a fun little ride that you never really hear much about. If you are in Park City in the summer its a cheap thing to check out and lots of fun - only minimal risk of road rash.

7. Hershey, PA

I was a young teen when I went to Hershey Pennsylvania and in spite of being "too cool" for my own good I had a great time in Hershey PA. I even enjoyed the tour of the Hershey factory, and I admit, I'm not generally good on tours.

8. Lake Louise, AB Canada

You can't really get to Lake Louise without going through some of the rest of the Rockies which is partly what makes it so spectacular. We like to go to Banff and Jasper and every time we drive through we stop at Lake Louise. One day we may even stay there. It is fantastically beautiful and worth just a stop for a photo opportunity.

9. Disneyland, Anaheim CA

I am such a kid at heart. I think that Disneyland is one of the happiest places on earth and I love to go there and just "experience the magic". Believe me I know ALL about the consumerism and the marketing and the ploy, but I can still walk in and leave the rest of the world behind for a day.

10. Heber Creeper, Heber City, UT

The Heber Valley Railroad is an operating steam strain which travels up and down the Provo canyon and through the Heber Valley. They put on all different kinds of events, we only went on the train ride but it would be fun to go back for a murder Mystery train ride or the Christmas train ride.

11. Memphis, TN

I had the opportunity to go to Memphis for work. I took the opportunity but I wasn't all that interested in the destination until we got there. We went to Graceland and to the Human Rights Museum. I am not even a fan of Elvis but Graceland was very cool to visit. I don't think anyone needs to be a fan to go there and enjoy the experience.

12. New Orleans, Louisiana

I have not been to New Orleans since the levees broke, but I was there a few years prior and had a good time. The food was great, and the sights and sounds worth checking out. I would absolutely return if I had the opportunity.

13. I haven't put anything on here about Africa. For those of you who know me you will know that my heart is always in Africa. It will forever be "home" to me. Right now the political situation in Zimbabwe is such that I would not recommend anyone travel there, but if this lifetime grants the opportunity for any of you to go there - take it. Maybe I will be there to greet you.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



No comments: