Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book: The Lorax

This week I read "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss. It is part of my 888 reading challenge under the category of banned books. I went back to see what list it was banned on, so I could understand why the book had been banned, but of course I haven't found it yet. (I will).
This is considered to be the "most controversial" of Dr. Seusses books, where a Once-ler comes in and cuts down all the trees, pollutes the area and leaves a desolate, smog filled no man's land.
I would compare it to Micheal Moore's documentary "Roger and Me" where General Motors turns Flint Michingan into a ghost town.
I enjoy Dr. Seuss and I wasn't disappointed in this book. I can see why big industry would react to it, but the message is certainly as applicable today as it was in 1971 when it was published.

No comments: