Monday, February 2, 2009

Sleep



Come, cuddle your head on my shoulder, dear, your head like the golden-rod, and we will go sailing away from here to the beautiful land of Nod.
— Ella Wheeler Wilcox

When my family moved across the country (from Alberta to Nova Scotia) my dad drove a U-haul and my mother followed with a vehicle with four young children. As a way to occupy the oldest of us she had us memorize scriptures or poetry and paid us nickels, dimes or quarters depending on the length and difficulty of what we memorized. One of the poems I memorized was Wynken, Blynken and Nod. The above quote comes from that poem.

Since having kids in the house we are seriously sleep deprived. The baby is almost sleeping through the night but Max has night terrors and is awake a lot during the night. What we have learned is that you can't "make up" for lost sleep. If that were the case I would need to sleep for years. With the new baby I have been taking turns staying up with him, but with Max my spouse pretty much did it all. So if I need to sleep for years, then my spouse needs to sleep for decades.

I just don't know if there are words to describe the bone numbing exhaustion I am feeling.

Last night circumstances dictated such that I COULD have gone to be early and slept uninterrupted. Of course as soon as the opportunity provides itself for sleep do you think it is possible for me to go there? Oh HELL no. I lay in bed unable to turn off my mind and slept for less than 7 hours and here I am back at work.

I think my brain is going to crack.

No comments: