Monday, August 16, 2010

Something is wrong in the world this week

A man and woman in their 20's were stoned to death in northern Afganistan this week.
THIS WEEK.
STONED TO DEATH.
Do you know what that means?

I checked it out to make sure I was not mistaken and found this info on the practise of stoning.

In stoning to death, the victims hands are tied behind their backs and their bodies are put in a cloth sack. Then, this human "package" is buried in a hole, with only the victims heads showing above the ground. If its a woman, she is buried up to her shoulders. This is to give her an seemingly equal (but nonetheless impossible) chance to escape recognizing her lesser physical strength.
After the hapless individual has been secured in the hole, people start chanting "Allah hu Akbar" (meaning, God is great), and throw palm sized stones at the head of the victim from a certain distance (a circle is drawn).
The stones are thrown until the person dies or until he/she escapes out of the hole and crosses the circle. Escaping is impossible, given that the individuals hands are tied behind their backs and they are buried in a hole up to their necks or shoulders.

The man was 28 and the woman was 20 (or 23). They admitted to committing adultery.
I don't believe in committing adultery, however I don't believe in murder as a consequence for adultery and the practice of stoning someone to death is simply barbaric. It is hard for me to conceive that this is something that happened THIS WEEK.

This week I went with my sons to the river. This week I played fetch with my puppy. This week I put a toonie into a vending machine and the machine kicked out 8 bottles of pop and I laughed. This week I went to a movie in a theater and ate popcorn and a hot dog. This week I sat waiting at road construction and thought how inconvenient it made my travel to and from work. This week a 23 year old woman stood in a field and was hit by rocks until she died. Something is wrong in the world this week.

1 comment:

Teena in Toronto said...

It's a wacky world out there :(