Wednesday, June 3, 2009

comforting my son


Our boy is now 2.5 years old.
Ever since the day he came home from the hospital he has been moving. He moves in his sleep. When we first had him home and would hold him he would kick one leg CONSTANTLY - even in his sleep. It was impossible to tell if he was asleep if you were gauging it on his movement.
He has never been a real "snuggler" and touch for him can be overstimulating.
As he has grown up a bit he has "tried" to snuggle with us but he is simply too restless and can not settle down.
He also seems to pick up every single flu or cold or virus that floats in the atmosphere and so he is sick a LOT. I have decided that it MUST BE easier to have a sick child who is not perpetually moving.
Last night for some reason he could not sleep. It was my night with the boys so I got up and went to see what he was calling about and he wanted to be picked up. We thought he might be getting sick and so I figured I would pick him up and lay with him on the spare bed in the spare room just so I was with him. I figured with him getting older that he would figure out we were LAYING down together and we could hang out, I could rub his head or whatever.
Apparently I make a mistake in my assumptions. He is NOT ready to lay with me in a bed. He is incapable of laying still.
First he was by my head, then he was by my feet, then he was snuggled up to the cat, then he was checking out the kleenex box.... so finally I put him back into his bed and let him fuss (which I hate for multiple reasons - the least of which is that he wakes up the baby) but I let him fuss alone in his crib.
It's funny to me how much "I" want for him to snuggle with me. It is somehow important to me - but not at all important to him. Parenting can bring out some strange emotions in a person.

1 comment:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Interesting that he's always in motion. I think it'd make me nuts!