Sunday, December 5, 2010

No - there WON"T be snow in Ethiopia this Christmas.

I have mentioned that I am a fan of the music of Christmas, but there are a few exceptions. Band Aid, in 1984 recorded the song "Do they know it's Christmas" to raise money for food for Ethiopians affected by drought. It is written by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure and one of the lines states " There won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime."
This is one of the most annoying lines of a song to me. It's a song to raise money for ETHIOPIA.

IT DOES NOT SNOW IN ETHIOPIA PEOPLE. If it snowed in Ethiopia the children there would have more to worry about than hunger.

I know it seems like a minute thing to find annoying. I think it is wonderful that people got together to raise money for others. I just think that there should be some level of awareness about the world in which we live. This song for me represents the ignorance of the western world regarding issues the rest of the world faces. Of course when I turned on my sirius radio Christmas music channel this was the FIRST song that played.

2 comments:

Ranavan said...

Nope, it doesn't snow in Ethiopia that if for certain...and you are right! If it did snow - holy man things there would be a whole lot worse.

Don't you love it when you dislike a song and it is always the first song you here when you turn on the radio!

Teena in Toronto said...

I read an article last week that that song annoys Bob Geldof. Ha!