Tuesday, December 14, 2010

365/15: Homa

Try this: make a list of 365 people whose names you remember and who were interesting to you. And then, if you can, write down a few words about each of them before they're gone from your memory. If you can't do this, it might be wise to spend the next 365 days meeting more people in person who are interesting to you. Learn their names.



Homa was a professor at the university where I got my undergraduate degree. I was majoring in psychology and I had completed all the credit requirements for my major and was still short of credits for graduation. I was taking random classes just to get credit and I took an introduction to Sociology class from Homa.
I was absolutely captivated. Captivated by the topics (enough to change my major to Sociology) but more captivated by this AMAZING woman.

She was from Iran and her father was a senior administrator for the Shah of Iran. Her family was exiled and she grew up and was educated in Europe. She taught the Sociology of Conflict and her life experience as well as her knowledge impacted me in such an immense way it changed the course of my life.
We got to know one another personally outside of the classroom. She advised me on my directed readings as a senior Sociology student. When I graduated she gifted me with some of the texts she used when she was a sociology student. They were some of the most meaningful books I have ever been given.

I graduated and moved and she left the university. Over the years we have lost touch and I miss our friendship greatly. This past November I went back to the university and visited with another Sociology professor with whom I became close. She has over the years maintained some sporadic contact with Homa, but lost touch again. I heard from her that since I last saw Homa, she became involved in a very abusive relationship that took her years to get out of. I could scarcely believe my ears. This SMART, funny, amazing, beautiful woman was a part of something that destroyed her mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically. I couldn't comprehend it. I ache for the pain she has endured. It is hard to believe that someone who impacted my life for the positive would have face such destruction in her own life.

If one day we could be in contact again it would be a dream come true. I just hope now that where-ever she is that her life is good. She deserves it.

No comments: