Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Who would you vote for in the USA election?

http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460
The WQAD candidate survey is based on the original SELECT A CANDIDATE survey developed by Minnesota Public Radio and posted at: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/projects/ongoing/select_a_candidate/.

I took this survey because my spouse did. I lived in the USA for a lot of years and because I was not a citizen I was not permitted to vote. While I was there I felt somehwat detatched from the electoral process and to be honest I didn't follow politics too closely, other than immigration laws, which never did consider me as a potential legitimate immigrant.

I was so naive to politics that I was shocked to realize how politically slanted the different news broadcasts were. This came to my attention when my in-laws were staying with us. My MIL would watch the news, talk to the newscasters as though they were listening to her, and she AGREED with what they were saying. That's when I knew something was amiss. My mother in law and I can agree on ..... Oh right, NOTHING. For example, she managed to argue with me ona topic I was AGREEING with her on! I literally had to stop and say to her in the middle of a conversation "You know we are saying EXACTLY the same thing here don't you?" She just thought because I was opening my mouth and noise was coming out that I was therefore diametrically opposed to her.

Now I live with my family in Canada, where we can live LEGALLY as a married couple, and where I could sponsor my spouse for landed immigrant status. Now that my family is directly and constantly affected by the decisions made by politicians I tend to follow politics, even (especially) local politics, more closely.

I have been watching with interest the unfolding of the elections this year in the USA. I have also learned that while I no longer live there, many decisions made in the US still affect me.
My spousal unit and I differ in our political outlook. (WHA? such a shocker!) She is a radical libertarian feminist. I am a conservative. Well, ok, as much as I CAN be conservative considering I am also a dyke. (dyke and conservative are not two words which go typically alongside one another in the same sentence)

I used to think that feminism was a dirty word. I believe in the death penalty - in some cases. But I do watch CNN (or as my spousal unit's parets refer to it "the communist news network".)
So as we have been watching the democratic debates and following the political races currently ongoing, we have numerous discussions about who we would support and why. I have been a supporter of Obama since the very beginning and of course, my spousal unit supports Hillary Clinton. I took this test tonight and what do you know? I have more ISSUE similarities with Hillary than I do with Barack Obama. That's what it's all about folks. Issues. I'm going to have to get over my conflict with feminism I think.

Know your issues.

Regardless who leads the democratic posrty to this election, it will be a historic event and one I am thrilled to see in my lifetime. Rock the vote!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh your spousal unit sounds like an intelligent woman! lol Poor thing having to suffer through the in-laws.