Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Translator: BOOK

I was completely captivated by the story told by Daoud Hari in his book " The Translator".

His writing was straightforward and concise. I read the entire book in just two days and passed it on to my spouse to read. Some of his descriptions of the atrocities he encountered are shocking and completely mind blowing. In contrast to the book I previously completed (Eat, Pray, Love) I was moved by the plight of the millions of displaced Sudanese currently living in refugee camps, unable to work and in dire need of appropriate food and shelter.

At the conclusion of the book Daoud has printed the Universal declaration of Human Rights. I am ashamed to say that I have not read this declaration prior to my reading of this book. I was interested to see how many "democratic" countries do not follow the articles which were accepted by the United Nations in 1948.

I think this book is a "must read" which I will highly recommend to others.

No comments: