Friday, September 17, 2010

Drive to BC

What a night and what a day!

I was up this morning at 4:00am to leave to BC. I had to stop in at work to see if my wallet was there. I went in and looked everywhere and couldn't find it, so I HAD to go back to the house because there is no way I could go away for the weekend without my wallet.
So back to the house, more searching, then BACK to work to try there again. I was freaking out. I had no idea what I was going to do if I couldn't find my wallet. LUCKILY the second time I was in the office I found it. I must have left too fast last night and left it there.

So I was late leaving town, but got on the road at about 5:30am. I have to admit I was excited to spend some time driving without the kids - I went to the library yesterday afternoon and took out some books on CD. I have felt like I needed to put the reading aside for a while now that I was back in class and have my thesis to write, so driving ten hours was a great excuse to listen to a book without feeling guilty! I loaded up the first book and got on the road.

I got to Chetwynd in good time. I have never been there and it was a cool little town. They have all these wooden carvings up and down the main drag. I managed to get a few pictures of them but I didn't stop for long - just to gas up - and was on my way again.

I left Chetwynd and got back on the road and almost immediately ran into construction for the first time. This stop lasted about 15 minutes and I got out and stretched my legs for a while.

Leaving this construction site behind I drove into a wall of fog. It was insane! I thought it would last a few miles, but it was thick for over 100 km. Once I got out of the fog the rest of the drive was beautiful. I didn't stop other than the times I was waiting for construction, but the whole way I was thinking how much Shel would have loved it and how many times she would have had me stop so she could take pictures!

When I actually DID stop to try and take some - knowing Shel would want to see some of what I was experiencing without her - the camera kept giving me a message that there was a lens error. It was so frustrating not to be able to take pictures when I finally stopped.

I made it to Burns Lake in plenty of time to book into the motel and get settled before class started. It was a LONG day, but I am happy to be getting this class behind me. Hopefully nest time Shel can come with me.

1 comment: