Thursday, March 13, 2008

thursday thirteen: things I love and hate about being in school


Thirteen Things about SCHOOL


I am back in school after many years of being full time in the work force. i think if I ever had enough money to never work again I would go back to school full time and be a professional student. There are things I love and things I hate about being in school again. Here is my list for the week.

1. I love learning.
2. I love pens and pencils (especially) and paper and notebooks and erasers and .....
3. I hate working in groups. I hated this as an undergrad also, and as a grad student I hate it equally (or more if that is possible). I don't like that the work, or lack of work, of others affects my grade. I am not all about the grade (no matter what you may think) but if I decide to do a half assed job of a task then I should get a grade that reflects that. If I want a good grade and someone in my group is a half asser, then I will do more work to compensate. I don't think that is fair and therefore I HATE group work.
4. I love being lectured to. My spouse likes classes that are all touchy feely and where people exchange ideas and talk about things and challenge one another. I don't. Give me the facts. Let me write them down. I am paying for someone more intelligent with more knowledge to impart that knowledge to me and I don't want someones ideas or feelings about it to interfere with my gleaning of that knowledge.
5. I love to sit in the back row.
6. I hate people who distract me, or the teacher, or get off topic to hear themselves speak. Just because I may APPEAR as though I am not paying attention (drawing, texting, searching the web in wireless internet) does NOT mean I am not paying attention and it is NOT an invitation to bother me!
7. I love textbooks.
8. I love homework (even though I never do it until the last minute, no matter how hard I try).
9. I love teachers - MOSTLY - unless they are boring, self-aggrandizing, or touchy feely.
10. I love syllabi, I love the details, I refer to my syllabi often.
11. Referring to #3 where I said I wasn't all about the grade. I do like grades, and I like to get good grades, but the grade isn't the be all and end all for me. I don't HAVE to get "a's" in every class and on every assignment, but I like being graded. I LOVE to get comments back on something I have worked on in order for me to know where I stand and how to make improvements if necessary. I used to get worked up if I feared I wasn't going to achieve perfection. I am much more relaxed about it now. I like to get my report card.
12. I love the comraderie. In the group I am in right now we are a cohort. The same group of people will be in every class until the end of the three yer course. There are personalities of course that do not get along, but there are some great people in the class and I am fortunate enough to have made some good friends.
13. Class presentations. I don't like to watch other presentations and I don't like being asked to participate in other group presentations. I will do it, but I don't like it. (Especially when the presentation does not follow the criteria given in the syllabi!) I don't have any problem at all giving a presentation though - and I follow what has been asked for!


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



2 comments:

Janet said...

#4 was an interesting viewpoint...

Sword Mama said...

I understand you about number 3 completely! And number 6. Good luck with your classes. :)