Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ten places I'd take a tourist to see in my hometown

For the purpose of this entry I will assume that this means the town I am currently living in. This question makes me laugh. I live in a teeny town and thinking of ten things to show a tourist in quite a mental exercise.

1. The four way stop. We only have one in the whole town and it is new since we moved here. I like to think that ouraddition tot he community population influenced the decision to add a four way stop.

2. The pool. We have a nice indoor pool and waterslide. In the summer it would be cool if the pool had a roof that retracted so we could be outside, but the fact remains that we have more winter months than summer months, so the indoor pool is nice.

3. The campus. Especially in the summer months the campus is a beautiful place to be. We have beautiful flower gardens, even though some of the most beautiful are in obscure places. It is nice to walk around campus and the three hole golf course and pond in the summer.

4. The Mall on Main. Don't be fooled by the title, which is why we need to stop by. We have a "mall" but all that is in the mall is a restaurant, a realtor office, a photo lab, a greyhound depot and a novelty store. The fact that it is called "the mall" is humorous - to me at least.

5. The town clock. This is another addition to the town since we have lived here. The clock has three sides and on the side of the clock that is visible when you LEAVE town it says "Welcome to FV". Really, who thinks of these things?

6. Dunvegan Bridge. The bridge is not actually in town, but it is one of the ways to get into town and it is fairly significant as a suspension bridge in the far north. At the bottom of the bridge are gardens and a little store and mini golf spot which are a nice touristy thing. They have an ice cream parlour which we visit at least once a summer and they have maypole dancing (which I have yet to attend).

7. The Northern Lights. I can't really "order" northern lights for guests to see, but we get some spectacular showings. One of the things I LOVE about where we live is the sky. The stars at night are so bright it is amazing. I can even see the milky way - which from a city is impossible.

8. The wildlife. My parents came up to visit and we bragged up how much wildlife there was to see. Of course the whole time they were here everything was in some kind of wierd hibernation. Thankfully when they came back we saw lots of moose, deer, coyotes, and an amazing array of birds. Our garden is quite a bird sanctuary and I am sure once my spouse gets into the garden and does her magic there will be more birds and other wildlife. You KNOW if someone comes here from out of town they will get a grand tour of our acreage. I AM paying a 30 year mortgage, so someone else needs to get some appreciation out of it.

9. A walking trail. I will admit I ran out of ideas and I had to ask a co-worker. She suggested the walking trails which give a nice view of the golf course and small lake.

10. oh, oh oh! A PLAY! I was in a play in the theater. But depending on what time of year a visitor would come to town there are some community events each year, the rodeo (which I have not attended), kidfest (which I have attended), the drag races (haven't been there yet), the car show (been there!), air show (been there!), and in the winter there are hockey games and curling bonspiels(and karaokee competitions where the competition is tough) . The community really does take advantage of the summer months.

No comments: