Wednesday, April 8, 2020

She walked away

I signed up for a writing class which started this week. Each week we are given some prompts to write about. I want to write. I love to write, but I have been struggling for years to write again.
I finally picked up a pen and paper and did it tonight.
I'm really stepping out of my comfort zone here. I can do this!

Here is what I came up with for assignment one.

At age 21 I worked overnight in a bakery. She would call me at 3 am to talk to me while I was on break. After work I would drive my mom's minivan to her apartment to hang out with her while she got ready for her day. I looked forward to talking to her nightly, and to seeing her every day.

in the morning she would invite me into the bathroom to talk to her, then one day undressed in front of me and climbed into the shower. I'd never seen a woman naked. I was equal parts captivated and scared. Why did I feel the way that I did? Why did I crave her voice on the phone and the image of her body through the fog on the shower door.

After she left for the day I would lay in her bed and breathe deep the scent of her. And want. And want.

One morning she got the call that she was being transferred to another area. We knew it was going to happen at some point but I wasn't prepared when the call came.

I stood in the kitchen as everything was carried up the stairs and into the van. The lump in my throat made it impossible to talk. The driver was waiting for her in the car. We stood looking at each other for a moment, my eyes full of tears, my heart broken. Stepping towards me she took my face in her hands and bending forward pressed her lips against mine.

I'd never been kissed before by a woman. Never felt the feelings exploding in my body and in my brain. In that instant my entire world changed.

She dropped her hands from my face, turned, and walked away.

No comments: