Monday, January 7, 2008

888 Challenge

We decided this year to get into the 888 challenge. That is 8 books in 8 categories in 2008.
Since we order books together from the library we pretty much read very similar books so it makes sense to have the same lists. Unfortunately, we don't have exactly the same interests and it is a bit of a cop out for me to copy Shel's list since hers is already compiled and mine is not even started.
64 books means more than one book per week and I am already behind because I haven't read anything yet.
Over the Christmas break I was so panicked about not getting enough reading completed I had three books going at once. That turned out to be a mistake, two books I seem to handle ok, three was crazy and I wasn't reading enough in any of them to get ahead. Last night I finished one, almost finished the second and I hope I can concentrate on the third one before the weekend when I am back in school.

Here is the START to my list. I will have to come back and fill it in when I get finished deciding. I also reserve the right to change any book on my list as I go - if I find a better one :)

Biography/Autobiography
1. Measure of a Man. Sidney Poitier
2. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Barbara Kingsolver
3. A Long Way Gone. Ishmael Beah
4. Spycatcher. Peter Wright
5. Middlesex. Jeffrey Eugenides
6. Infidel. Ayaan hirsi Ali
7. Glass Castle.
8. Fish:

Children's
1. Invention of Hugo Cabret. Brian Selznick
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Pulitzer Prize Winners
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

From the NYT Bestseller list. ( I don't want to limit myself to books that have already been written. There might be some good ones published this year)
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Banned or "challenged" books
1. Go Ask Alice
2. The Lorax.
3. Lady Chatterly's Lover.
4. The Well of Lonliness
5. Steal This Book. Abbie Hofmann
6.
7.
8.


Books already on my Bookshelf
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

No comments: